Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, August 24th: 11 Days

Today it is raining outside. I am sure Laurel can see it through her window which faces the Healing Garden (which we have been referring to as the Peace Garden). I have not seen her since Friday, so my update today is through talking with other family members. Her brother James flew in from California to see her today. He has to get back for work but I am sure it was good for both of them to see one another.

She looks out onto quite a bit of greenery directly out of her window. If she is sitting in the chair, or leans forward some, she can see many of the flowers and a rock fountain.

Friday, Laurel did indeed get to be with her two younger kids, for the first time since the accident, in that garden. There were some tears shed, and it was good for them to reunite. Yesterday they were able to again be together. Her mom said the kids didn't cry this time as they seemed to have adjusted after that initial meeting the day before.

I don't know if they will see each other again today with the rain, since children are not supposed to be allowed in the burn unit critical care. Laurel also said she is pretty tired.

The surgery which was scheduled for tomorrow has been changed to Tuesday. It will be another skin graft surgery, but I am not sure which injury they will be working on.

Laurel does not remember the accident , but she is aware that a stranger pulled her out at the risk of his own life. She is so grateful and hopes to meet him. Apparently he is embarrassed and does not feel he did anything heroic. But he is a hero in our book.

No comments: