Thursday, August 28, 2008

About Tuesday the 26th

TUESDAY,August 26: Laurel had another skin graft surgery on Tuesday. Coming out of it was very difficult, both because of intense pain, and because of medication induced anxiety. The surgery went well, grafting on Laurel's own skin so her body can identify that it is okay for it to be there and allow it to stay. The doctor said there is also a layer of some kind of space age like material that has silver ions in it to act as an anti-microbial and help it heal nicely.

The bummer is that they were not able to complete everything. Laurel's body temp. was dropping too much which inhibits the blood from clotting. So another surgery to finish up is planned for tomorrow (Friday).

I saw Laurel myself after her surgery on Tuesday and I could not help but weep. She was so clearly in so much pain, both physically and from the anxiety caused by the anesthesia. So, when I tell you she took the news like a champ (that they have to go in again)when the doctor told her on Wednesday -- know that I mean it. She just seems to be taking the attitude that she knows she has to do all of this to get through what she needs to and just wants to do it and be done.She is setting herself to push ahead, to push through it all to get to the other side.

Although she says she isn't as brave as she thought she was, that isnot what I am seeing! She is so brave, so much more brave than I can imagine being with so much ahead of her. Frankly, I think burns are the worst kind of injury. They are so incredibly painful. When I see her and others in the burn unit my heart swells with admiration and compassion at the same time.

No comments: