Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Monday, Labor Day, September 1

Laurel came through her third surgery on Friday, August 30th. She had a less difficult time in recovery as the anxiety was much lessened. The actual sites are extremely painful. In order to have grafts of her own skin, many of the areas where she was not burned were "harvested" and used as grafts on her burned areas. So she is pretty much sore everywhere.

On Sunday, I returned S&L to R via the hospital so they could see mom. I was happy to note that the burn on her nose is almost completely gone and barely even shows up. She can now be kissed on her nose and her upper left arm:) In fact, her left hand is now unbandaged and is improving well too. I think all of her fingernails and fingertips are still dark. I am not sure if they are burns or deeper tissue injuries. I will have to ask her. All of the bandages are off of her face with the exception of her forehead. There is a more extensive burn there. And I think pretty much the rest of her entire body is bandaged at this point.

One thing I know would drive me crazy is that they have to keep the dressings wet. So she sits in wetness all day long. And the bandage changes are very painful.

Some nurses are more compassionate than others. I am sure it would be hard to do that job if you are very empathetic. Laurel is thankful for one nurse, Jeri (sp?) who makes it a point to always explain to her what is happening before she does it and is very loving towards her. There have been some excruciating moments, like when a nurse has transferred her to her chair without even asking if she wanted to be transferred. Imagine being moved around when your skin is raw. But she did get to enjoy some time with kids and family out in the garden under the little shelter.

Originally she was wheeled under the shelter to keep her from the sun, which was shining at the time. But within minutes the sky literally dumped rain! We made sure she wasn't getting any drops on her bandages, then sat and laughed and tried to pretend we were camping. Her dad even started singing"Kumbayah". She got a nice visit with S&L too. I know she especially wants to spend time with them. They are not allowed into the unit itself so she has to be able to get to the garden to see them, except for waving through the window.

Her mom spoke with her on Monday (she was able to use the phone in her room finally!) and she sounded like she had a fairly good night. I think she spent a good portion of the day on Labor Day with her hubby and kids. The kids watched TV in the lobby and I think R&K took turns sitting with them. And they were also going to prepare for school to start on Tuesday. I will update more when I get to see or talk to her again.

Laurel often reads this blog now, on K's laptop. So if you take a couple minutes to sign up for a Yahoo ID (if you don't already have one) you can leave a comment and she will see it herself. You can also ask questions if you have them and either I will answer them or maybe even Laurel herself if she is up to it and has someone to type for her.

I also have a couple of pictures of her from before the crash which I am hoping to get posted soon. My scanner is acting up so as soon as I can get it figured out I will post them.

1 comment:

KEI said...

Hey Laurel! If you get the chance to read this I want you to know that we love you and are praying for you everyday. Especially Ryan, who on his own will pray for you to "get better from your car crash!" I know that God is with you and He is taking care of you. We love you and miss you! Kerry and fam.